Saturday, December 20, 2008

Workout B, More Wholesome than /b

What I pushed today:

Squat: 3x5 200
Military Press: 3x5 95
Bent Over Row: 3x5 135
Pull-Ups 3x8 -82

Squats were pretty rough again today despite taking some extra time to warm up on them. I think the lack of accessory work over (hyper-extensions and inclined weighted sit ups) the past few days has hurt my overall performance on squats. Then again, it just feels damn heavy moving that too. 

I decided to stay at 95 on press since I deloaded down from 100 last time and there's just not a whole lot of leeway since even deloading 20% is only four workouts worth of reloading. Joe and I are thinking of picking up a set of fractional plates so we can up the weight on press a pound or so at a time instead of needing to do five pound increments.

Bent over rows are currently my favorite lift in workout B. I feel like I'm actually still making progress on them and it feels like I have the form down pretty solidly on them. As with everything else I'm going to be sticking to adding five pounds a week on them, but I feel like I could almost do more.

The pull-ups are listed at -82 since I'm using an assisted pullup machine for these still. I've come a good ways since doing 118 pounds of assist, but it's been a lot slower than dips which I'm doing unweighted now.

There was someone new to squatting in the gym today who had just fucking horrible form. He was doing quarter squats (to be generous) and was doing them essentially on tip-toes. As per usual I wanted to help and Joe was being his angry little self, but also as per-usual I went and helped anyways. I always feel like kind of a douche for giving lifting advice since I'm so new at this myself, but it was really obvious this guy was a beginner and so I figured he might be open to some help.

I lucked out in being right that he was a beginner and he was actually really interested in learning some new information. I just went over the two big points of squatting (going below parallel and keeping the weight on your heels) and showed him what he was doing wrong. He was pretty happy to learn about it and I pointed him at Squat RX to pick up more form information so I hope he follows through and sticks with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment