Thursday, January 22, 2009

"A" is for, "Hay! What happened to 'B'"?

I got sick and so I missed two days of running and one day of lifting. I felt better so I got back into in today. And boy was it a good day.

Squat 3x5 190
DB Bench Press 60 4/5/4
Deadlift 1x8 200, 1x5 205
Dips 3/2/2
Curls 3x5 32.5

Oh man, I did not fuck around in the gym today. It took me about 50m to be done with the entire routine, including the extra set of deadlifts. I felt good.

On squats I just pounded them out. For the first time in a while I wasn't focusing on form and just got under the bar and pushed the fucking weight. As a consequence I had my best form since early December and just blew through all three sets with at most 3m of downtime between each set. I don't know what it was about today, but it felt great.

DB Bench Press was the only lift where I didn't meet or exceed expectations. I did 3x5 at 60lbs with Jeff on Sunday, but just couldn't do it today. No real worries. As you can't increment by 2.5lbs each time I'm expecting days like this. That said, it still felt great doing the sets and I think the failure was mostly due to not taking enough rest between my warmup sets and my first work set.

I have reached nirvana on deadlift. They just felt great. I was supposed to increment to 195 today, but pushed it to 200 since I was feeling so damn good. I blew through the warmups and then just didn't feel like stopping at 5 on my first work set so I did 8. Then I bumped the weight up to 205 just because. I even did these fine and the only reason I didn't do 210 is because I still have shit to do today and wanted to be able to walk.

Dips felt great. Getting that third dip in on the first set put me at half-mast for the rest of the workout. I almost expected to bottom out and just get one rep on the third set, equalling my volume on Sunday, but HTFU and got two in.

Curls were curls. After next week I think I'll bump up to 35lbs DBs.

No comments:

Post a Comment